3.10.2009

.be the arrow

If you know anything about sports at all, you've probably heard the phrase "be the ball." It may be used in connection with baseball, maybe after your teammate has wiffed a few times at the plate. Or perhaps in basketball when someone blows a wide-open layup. Or maybe in football when the receiver butterfingers a perfect pass. All in all, it's meant to be a phrase of exhortation, i.e. "get your rear in gear and play better!" You've probably haven't heard anyone say, "be the arrow". Even in archer's circles, I assume it's never used. I'm sure experienced marksmen have their own lingo and probably don't go around patting other dude's butts after a good shot either.

Either way, what does it mean to "be the arrow"? Well, I found this passage in the Message a couple of weeks ago and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Let's see what it does to you:

psalm 25:12 (the message) My question: What are God-worshipers like? Your answer: Arrows aimed at God's bull's-eye.

WOW! Every time I read this, I'm in awe of its simplistic confoundness. Let me explain. Those who worship God, living lifestyles of surrender to Him, are arrows directed at the center of God's perfect will for their lives. This idea is found elsewhere in the first part of Romans 12..."submit your bodies as a living sacrifice to Him (your spiritual act of WORSHIP)...then you will be able to test and approve God's good, pleasing and perfect will!"

So, be the ARROW. Live your life completely and wholly for Him and watch your life get right on target!

No comments:

Post a Comment