10.13.2011

.shockwave challenge - day 54

We went to the Kroc center this afternoon to workout and swim.  After my run, I walked over to the water fountain and saw one of the lifeguards watching an indoor soccer game from outside the gym.  I walked up and asked if he was just getting off of work or taking a break.  He said he was happy to be going home and was ready for some sleep.  After a little small talk, I invited him to church and he said, "You know, I've been wanting to get back to church but I've just had some bad experiences at churches."  I promised he would find just what he needed at Good News Church and then I asked how he got involved in church in the first place.  He said he was really involved as a kid when the local church sent a van into the neighborhood to pick kids up.

I told him I didn't want to assume anything just because he attended church and that I needed to ask him an important question.  Then I dropped the million dollar bomb on him.  He said he thought he'd go to heaven because he was a good person.  He said that he felt like the more good you do, the closer you get to God and the more bad you do, the closer you get to the devil.  I told him that I could tell he seemed like a good person, but ultimately how good do you have to be to get into heaven?  He nodded his head like he understood.  I then shared the gospel with him and pointed out that there's no way we can be good enough and that's why God sent His son, Jesus, to die on the cross for us.  I shared Romans 10:9 with him and asked if he'd ever prayed a prayer like that.  He said he thought he had when he was a kid, but wanted to do it again because he felt like he needed to.  I was happy to oblige and so I led him in the prayer of salvation.  After our prayer, he said, "I really needed that today.  I feel good now!"  I continued to share with him about the benefits of salvation and encouraged him to come to church to grow in his faith.  He said he'd like that.

Who can you share the gospel with today?  Go out and give life!  You could encourage someone.  You could lead someone else to Christ.  You could challenge another believer to share his faith.  You could lay hands on the sick and heal them.  You could do the works of Christ and join the most important ministry there is: the ministry of the believer!

No comments:

Post a Comment